Custom business signs can be very successful tools when it comes to directing traffic to any business, big or small. Whether placed off-premises to indicate where the business can be found, or at the entrance to the building that houses the business, well designed exterior custom business signs will differentiate your business from others, and make it stand out.
But there are a number of elements ranging from design to legalities that must be taken into account. Always remember when planning custom business signs that you need them to help existing clients and customers find, and/or draw attention to those who could become customers.
Some vital factors include:
Legalities Local by-laws and zoning ordinances may have certain restrictions regarding custom business signs – and other forms of signage for that matter. These could include size constraints, acceptable forms of illumination to draw attention to the signage at night, and sometimes even colors and font types if the sign is to be placed on a wall in a shopping center or mall.
- Placement Presuming you will check that the position you have chosen for your custom business signs or sign is legal, you need to be sure it will produce maximum impact. Take every possible factor into account: possible glare from the sun; large vehicles that might block the sign; the effect of trees that might cast shadows.
- Branding Any permanent business sign can be used effectively as a branding tool 24/7. For this reason, you might want to incorporate corporate colors, possibly the font or fonts you normally use, and a logo. These elements may even be incorporated in the simplest standout sign at the business entrance. Just remember that:
- Simple fonts are easier to read and generally look more professional.
- The size of lettering will depend on the distance from where the custom business sign will be viewed. For instance, if you expect people to be able to read it from 1,000 feet away the minimum letter height should be 43 inches; if they will see it from only 100 feet away, the letter height can be four inches.
- Spacing should be regular to ensure the words are legible.
- Simple logos are generally more effective that fancy ones. For this reason when you have a logo designed, ensure it will work on everything from your website to stationary and any custom business signs you are going to use to direct traffic to your business.
- Materials used for signage are vitally important and should be chosen with care. Both suitability and budget need to be considered.
Ultimately a well-designed custom business sign can be a very cost-effective form of marketing. If you need advice and assistance with planning yours, contact the helpful professionals at MegaBytes Digital. We have experience in different industries and can help drive traffic to your business with an imaginative, effective sign.